Since the Launch of Wartile back in February, we have continued to work on Wartile with the intention to improve specific areas of the game and today we are finally ready to release a significant update to Wartile.
The free update, which has been in the works under the codename “True Viking Edition” improves WARTILE in countless ways, most importantly redefining the whole story of the game. The complete story was rewritten and is now supported by cutscenes and a famous narrator George Blagden, known for playing Athelstan in the award-winning TV Show Vikings.
Key gameplay features have also been reworked to make the game more accessible and with the intention to apply a deeper tactical aspect to the game.
To celebrate the new update, WARTILE is currently 40% off on Steam.
Visit the Wartile steam store: https://store.steampowered.com/app/404200/WARTILE/
- We are excited to introduce a whole new story for Wartile now narrated by George Blagden who did an awesome job of bringing the new story alive.
Game Play Changes
- We changed the movement system to provide a more consistent experience. If your figurine is on a movement cooldown, you can queue its move, and it will move once the cooldown is done. Besides, figurines can now move through friendly figurines. This ensures a much more smooth experience both during and out of combat.
New Encounter system
- Our new encounter system is a new interesting way of presenting enemies on the battle board. Instead of a dynamic AI that moves around the board as you play, we have combined the enemy encounters into small static parties that becomes alive when you enter their encounter zones as you explore the board.
Figurine Ability Warning system
- Abilities are now visually shown in the UI with an icon and a “casting time” when used.
- Abilities can have “casting time” allowing to react and break the casting time
- Casting time has been added to the majority of enemy abilities (to give counterplay options)
- Moving enemy functionality to abilities such as spirit teleport, Volva teleport, etc.
- Also, ability special effects have received an overhaul; changing to something that should be easier to parse visually.
Three types of abilities
- Instant cast and effect – Player can’t interrupt or avoid the effect
- Delayed cast with instant effect – Player can interrupt and avoid the effect
- Instant cast but delayed effect – Player can’t interrupt but maybe move to avoid the effect
Updates to difficulty tiers and enemy encounters
- To increase the enjoyment of playing the difficulty tiers we have updated some of the enemy encounters with new abilities.
BB2v1 Volva of Death
- Increased her number of abilities and made her into a more boss fight experience.
- Added a new spearman officer with “bear trap” ability BB2v2 Volva of the Forest
- Teleport is now an interruptible ability and gave it additional poison effect
- Spirit teleport is now an interruptible ability
Changes to Waypoints
- Waypoints will now respawn your dead figurines.
Near Death warnings
- When figurines die the first time, they’re reduced to 1 hp
- Time slows down for a short while to allow the player to react
- After happening, this incurs a 30-second cooldown before it can happen again
- Bear traps now occasionally emit some smoke to give away their presence
Ability and Action Cards
- Unit Ability and Action cards have a new feedback method for targeting and use that should make the use of cards more responsive. In addition, a number of new action cards have been added.
- The Cooldown icon is now displayed on the top right corner of the cards and is grayed out when on Cooldown.
New action cards and changes to figurine abilities
- We have added some additional action cards to bring in deck management earlier in the progression cycle. During this process, we have made some changes to figurine abilities as well.
- Rage: Send your figurine into a rage increasing his attack speed while decreasing defenses
- Banner: Spawn a banner on the field providing bonuses to nearby friendly figurines
- Supply Crate: Spawn a random item
- Roadblock: Spawn a roadblock that slows nearby enemy figurines.
- Replaced “Banner” on Hakon with the new ability “Axe Throw”
- Axe Throw: Throw an axe dealing damage to target enemy figurine
- Swapped “Shield Push” and “Armor Break” on Hakon and Jorim
Unlocking difficulty tiers
- Secondary objectives are no longer required to unlock higher difficulties. New UI feedback has been added to show if a player has completed all objectives or only the primary.
- Figurines are now always shown in the shop, allowing the player to preview figurines that will become available during the game.
Changes to the Battle Boards
- New cutscenes introducing critical points in the story
- In connection with the changed narrative the Battle Board Home Village a new tutorial map has been added.
- BB1v1 Goat objective has been slightly changed (Goat is picked up from the tutorial map)
- Battle Board 1v3 has been added as a small outro map in connection with the story update.
(Prologue Board The home village)
- Updated the tutorial to reveal the various items and hints on the fly.
- Moved some of the groups around. In particular, the “greater spirit” is moved to less frustrating positions.
- Moved the save point up to allow saving just before the final two encounters
- Changes to spirit/ Volva teleports (allows the player to interrupt the cast time more clearly)
- Added path after early loot point to facilitate traversal
- Added path to flank the final fight
- Added entrance to Yggdrasil (but you can’t enter it.. 🙂 )
- Many of the fights are converted to ambushes using the new encounter system.
- Gamepads are now supported
- Game also slow down when hovering action and ability cards
- Merchant algorithm for selection of items has changed to provide more relevant items